Rooster

Rooster on PhotoPeach

Sunday, January 12, 2014

One last thing...



Feeling rusty on your shaping skills? Before beginning this lab segment I would recommend to look back on your notes and review from previous classes. This lab is not just about the decorative dough. Here is a video that will help. Although I am now a junior and have taken all of my required bread labs for my bachelors degree, I find I need to relearn the techniques. Shaping bread may seem straight forward, but its like anything in life…the more you practice the more you refine your skill. It covers everything from weighing, to dividing, proofing, preshaping and final shaping. Every step of bread baking matters. There is a specific order of sequence for a reason. For example, the way you divide the bread determines how much product you produce. If you divide carefully and split the extra dough between the pieces you will have less to no waste. Or if you are dividing rolls and half are a different size than the other half, the bread becomes a product you could no longer sell due to uneven sizes and unfair quantities for the customers. Remember, things like this will help you succeed throughout production. If I had viewed a video like this prior to this lab I would have avoided some of the mistakes my group and I had made, however, by making those mistakes I will be less likely to repeat them in the future. Hopefully.

Although I have not completed much from last post due to the weekend, I have some final tips. When creating your decorations for your showpieces, make double of everything. That is, if its not too time consuming. I had made a few of my decorations for my rooster at home and one of them broke before I got to class. Luckily, I had made another, which saved me time in lab. On the day of assembly don’t save too much to do. Gluing the structural pieces together as well as placing the decorations takes more time than you may think. Limiting your time while assembling could increase your chance of mistakes.  And one last thing…have fun:)
Goodluck future bread bakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment