Rooster

Rooster on PhotoPeach

Monday, January 13, 2014

A New Way of Seeing Things

For my fourth and final post as a member of BPA3010, I'm choosing to write an advisory note to all the students who are coming into the class, and who may or may not have some qualms about its content, structure, or execution. Coming into the class, I thought for sure that it would be a by the book sculpture artistry class with a different medium (dead dough in the place of a clay of sorts.) I've since learned that it is much more than that. This class forced me to think in a new way, to see things from another angle, and see transitions between usually unconnected things. 

My best advice for a student coming into the class would be to try not to be so literal, try not to take everything at face value. At first, I too stood strong in the face of the oppressive force of the abstract perspective being considered here. Once I rebooted the cold, aloof region of my brain that seemed to only understand logic, I started to see things in a new way. In this class the belly of Mycenaean Urn could become a bread oven in all its fortitude. Face value means nothing if you can't see beyond and make the connections between unlike things. If you can learn to abstract your view, you will learn to connect things in new ways that you'd never thought of before, and your showpieces will prosper. 

Although many people may think that its impossible to think this way, I urge all future students to try, as it will only help you to be free thinking in your showpiece design. Heck, for starters you could try looking at the picture below of a beautiful river valley running through the hills of Tuscany, the hillsides afire with the amber flames of wheat grain, and see what images you associate with said rustic scenery.      




Funny, those hills look an awful lot like ciabatta bread we made in class today...

All kidding aside, keep an open mind and always be ready for inspiration to strike anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment